Technology Enablers (BIM)
3D Modeling Technology and Design Process
“Streamline processes throughout a building’s lifecycle”
The aim of this half day workshop is to develop a general understanding of Building Information Modelling (BIM) and how it is implemented into work practice. Although some technical language will be introduced, this is not intended to be a technical module, but one that gives a good understanding of BIM principles and practices.
BIM is a 3D modelling technology and design process that has already begun to change the way buildings are designed, built, operated and decommissioned. While there is no single accepted definition of BIM it is generally described as a database that provides digital information about the design, fabrication, construction, project management, logistics, materials and energy consumption of a building.
The use of BIM has the potential to streamline processes throughout a building’s lifecycle through the integration of design, engineering, construction, maintenance and decommissioning information about a built asset project into a single rich model. Further, the use of digital modelling tools can have wider benefits for the New Zealand community when the use of this technology is extended to, for instance, urban planning, infrastructure development and the designing and understanding of city environments.
Students will gain an early appreciation of BIM and how it can be applied to workflow practices.
What am I going to learn?
- Understand BIM concepts and tools.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how BIM technology can offer the potential for many direct and indirect benefits to the building industry.
- Appreciate how BIM can facilitate better practices and significant savings in time and cost.
- Be aware of contractual implications of using a shared BIM model.
- Understand how BIM can provide opportunities for new services.
- Consider strategies for developing and implementing BIM within an organisation
- Describe the challenges facing the wider adoption of BIM.
For clients this course will give you the tools to improve your BIM awareness.
For consultants this course will give you the tools to improve your performance with the key outcomes being:
- More new work
- More repeat work
- Easier tenders
- More reasons for clients to come back
- Improvement of your customer service
- Empowering your staff to take action and change behaviours
For maintainers (roads, water, civil, local authorities, etc) this course will give you the tools to understand how to improve your quality indicators